Sunday 15 August 2010

June '10 - Bye Library, Hello Outside World

This year, the end of exam period was greeted by a rare spell of sunshine. Usually, London is only glorious weather-wise when I'm trapped in a library. The great urban outdoors beckoned; Super Mario Galaxy and other indoor amusements had to wait.

I actually discovered the Hill Garden and Pergola behind Golders Hill Park on a day of outdoor "revision", which consisted of Machiavelli's I Discorsi being on my person but never quite opened. I returned a few weeks later and enjoyed a much more guilt-free wander there after visiting Kenwood House. It's a tranquil spot made for those who love the Hampstead Heath area, but want to escape the hype of activity typical of Parliament Hill or Golders Hill Park on a hot summer's day.

Another decent discovery I made post-exams was Room 46a of the V&A, which houses plaster casts of grandiose European sculptures. These stairs in my future home, please.

To top off a culturally-enriching week of London walks and museum visits, I was lucky enough to catch the Elephant Parade herd at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. The individually-designed elephants, previously scattered around the capital, had been herded together for a few days only; after which time they were sold at auction to raise money for the Elephant Family (cue conversation: "But please, I've always wanted one and I promise I'll take good care of it!"). My personal favourites included Fish and Chips Elephant, Mr Clegg, Taxi Elephant and Elephant in the City. I wonder what your choice of elephant reveals about your personality...





Tales of more recent excursions/thoughts to come very soon. Many things have happened since June, one of them being July... and half of August... FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment